How to prepare sayur asem indonesian Vegetable Sour Soup recipe. This vegetable soup is a must-have item on the menu of every West Java (Sundanese) restaurant in Indonesia.
- 1 teaspoon tamarind pod
- 200 ml warm water
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and sliced
- 3 tablespoons raw peanuts
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups low-fat chicken broth
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 chayote, peeled, seeded, and sliced thin
- 1/2 cup frozen green beans, ends trimmed
- 1/3 cup frozen corn kernels
- Prepare tamarind by placing it in a small bowl with warm water. Let soak for 15 minutes.
- To make spice paste, combine shallot, garlic, ginger, red chili pepper, raw peanuts, shrimp paste, and salt in a large mortar and blend well with a pestle. Use a food processor or blender if you don’t have a mortar and pestle.
- Transfer paste to a medium saucepan and add chicken or vegetable broth, salted peanuts, and brown sugar. Stir to combine, and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, use a strainer to separate the tamarind seeds from the juice. Throw away the seeds and keep the juice.
- Add chayote, green beans, and corn to the soup, and cook over high heat for 5 minutes.
- Just before serving, add tamarind juice and stir. Garnish with green chili pepper slices if desired.
- Preparation :
- Cook :
Nutrition / Serving
- Calories Calories 267.5
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium Sodium 531.1 mg
- Carbohydrate Carbohydrate 22.5 g
- Protein Protein 10.0 g